Researches and studies
Varese is at the center of a patrimony which places it to full title among the Italian excellences from the environmental and landscape point of view. The program of formation and close examination of NATURE URBANE it will so deeply stimulate reflections and perceptions with at the center the architecture and the landscape and that relationship between nature and this peculiar urbanization of Varese that changes also a lot of cities in Europe and in the main cities of the world.
- Friday 29 September
At 07:30 pm - Villa Mirabello - Varese, Piazza Motta n. 4
“I looked at the world that turned around me…”
Considerations on leaves and plants of our cities
Edited by Bruno Cerabolini, teacher of botany in the Università degli Studi dell’Insubria.
Collateral event of the European Night of the Researchers, in collaboration with the Università degli Studi dell’Insubria.
- Monday 2 October
At 02:30 pm - Villa Panza - FAI - Biumo Superiore, piazza Litta n. 1
Vacationing Varese 1730-1930
Residences, gardens, parks
Meeting in collaboration with Soprintendenza Archeologica, Belle Arti e Paesaggio, Province di Como, Lecco, Monza-Brianza, Pavia, Sondrio, Varese.
- Roberto Cecchi, Assesor for the Culture, Comune di Varese
- Caterina Bon Valsassina, General Manger, Archeologia Belle Arti e Paesaggio, Ministero per i Beni e le Attività Culturali e il Turismo
- Luca Rinaldi, Superintendent, Soprintendenza Archeologica Belle Arti e Paesaggio per le Province di Como, Lecco, Monza-Brianza, Pavia, Sondrio, Varese
- Paola Bassani, Politecnico di Milano: Villas and gardens between e ‘700 and ‘800
- Lionella Scazzosi, Politecnico di Milano: Villas and gardens between e ‘800 and ‘900
- Roberto Nessi, Soprintendenza Archeologica, Belle Arti e Paesaggio Lombardia Occidentale: The Second Post-war period: the destruction of the villas and the parcelling of the parks
At 06:30 pm - Palazzo Estense - Via Luigi Sacco, 5 - Varese
Ecology Awards Varese City – Salvatore Furia
- 06.30 pm, put to abode in the park of the Gardens Estensi of a sample of quercus castaneifolia in memory of Salavatore Furia
- 09.00 pm, Ecology Awards Varese City – Salvatore Furia
- Davide Galimberti, Mayor Comune di Varese
- Daniel Zanzi, Deputy mayor Comune di Varese
- Alberto Coen Porisini, Rector of Università degli Studi dell’Insubria
- Vanni Belli, President Astronomic Observatory “G. V. Schiaparelli”
In collaboration with Università degli Studi dell’Insubria and Astronomic Observatory “G. V. Schiaparelli”, Varese
- Tuesday 3 October
At 06:00 pm - Camera di Commercio - Piazza Monte Grappa n. 5 – Varese
The sport as turistic landmark
- Davide Galimberti, Mayor of Varese
- Giuseppe Albertini, President, Chamber of Commerce of Varese
- Toto Bulgheroni, entrepreneur
- Massimiliano Serati, LIUCC University
Will be present: Honorable, Member of Parliament Luca Lotti – Minister of Sport.
With the extraordinary partecipation of the winner of the Tre Valli Varesine.
- Wednesday 4 October
At 02:30 pm - Sala Montanari - Via dei Bersaglieri n. 1 – Varese
The territory as didactic laboratory
Edited by Enzo Laforgia.
The territory, that entertains us and that every day we cross, offers to our look as “a great text of history” (according to historian Piero Bevilacqua’s definition). It is a text of history opened and never concluded, continually rewritten and that it guards the traces of the epochs and the events that have succeeded. To know how to decrypt its signs, to pursue the signs deposited by the past, to return a narration of it is, in substance, what it does the historian. In this sense the “territory” it shapes him as an extraordinary “laboratory of history”. Besides, to promote a critical and aware look toward the places that we live it responds to the finalities proper of the teaching of “Citizen and Constitution”, in how much it contributes to develop that necessary sense of responsibility to the formation of tomorrow’s citizens, in the spirit expressed by the article 9 of our constitutional paper.
- Claudia Biraghi, technical scientific in the international Center of search for the local histories and the cultural differences of the Università degli Studi dell’Insubria: The value of the local history. Sources for a scientific approach
- Gianmarco Gaspari, scientific manager of the international Center of search for the local histories and the cultural differences and teacher of Italian Literature at theUniversità degli Studi dell’Insubria: Among history, literature and landscape: the Lombardy of the Grand Tour
- Enzo R. Laforgia, teacher in the classical High school “E.Cairoli” of Varese: Make history in the city: didactic runs between ‘800 and ‘900
- Andrea Minidio, teacher at the artistic High school “A. Frattini” of Varese: History of the landscape and Land Art: a didactic experience near the Village Cagnola della Rasa.
In collaboration with international Center of search for the local histories and the cultural differences of theUniversità degli Studi dell’Insubria and Institute varesino “Luigi Ambrosoli” for the history of contemporary Italy and the movement of liberation.
At 09:00 pm - Palazzo Estense - Via Luigi Sacco, 5 - Varese
Giovanni Agosti rereads Robert Wilson: the relationship among architecture, art and nature
Giovanni Agosti will investigate her spirituality in the art of Robert Wilson with a particular focus on the relationship between the Sacro Monte of Varese and the Via Crucis of the American arist, spatial and sonour installation that represents the fourteen stations of the Croce.
Inside the project “Cult City inLombardia“.
- Thursday 5 October
At 10:00 am - Villa Mirabello - Varese, Piazza Motta n. 4
Direction (to) Varese
- Honorable, Member of Parliament Giancarlo Giorgetti coordinator
- Alberto Coen Porisini, Magnificent Rector, Università dell’Insubria
- Geminiello Albi, economist and essayist
- Antonio Colafati, Università della Svizzera Italiana
- Maurizio Lucchi, editor La Prealpina
At 09:00 pm - Palazzo Estense - Via Luigi Sacco, 5 - Varese
To cultivate the Landscape
Projection of the short film “Le rupi del vino” directed by Ermanno Olmi; to follow: conference.
The respect of the agriculture for the rural territory produces the beauty of the landscape. Landscape of quality doesn’t exist without agriculture of quality. The cinema has investigated the themes of the ancient agrarian wisdoms and the landscape in different occasions.
A beautiful film knows in fact how to communicate and to excite, to transmit feelings that show the cycle of the seasons and the flowing of the time.
The evening foresees the projection of the short film ” Wine’s cliffs” of Ermanno Olmi, a film dedicated to the relationship among man, agriculture and landscape.
The projection will be preceded by an introduction by Mario Allodi and it will continue with a conversation to more voices, that it will drive the public to the knowledge and the reflection of the landscape to observe and from “to cultivate.”
- Introduction by Mario Allodi, landscape architect.
- Projection short film.
- Conversation with: Mario Allodi; Luca Rendina, artist and journalist; Carlo Meazza, photographer; Antonio Pedretti, artist.
Giuliana Gatti moderator, delegated AIAPP Lombardia – Provincia di Varese.
In collaboration with the Associazione Italiana Architetti Paesaggisti.
At 09:00 pm - Villa Panza - FAI - Biumo Superiore, piazza Litta n. 1
The Archetype of a Work
Talking with Michelangelo Pistoletto
- Friday 6 October
At 02:30 pm - Teatro "G. Santuccio" - Via Sacco n. 10 – Varese
Varese, the City of the circular economy
From landscape enhancement to the politics of the efficiency and the recycling, for a sustainable and smart city
From the idea of sustainable development to the green economy up to the sharing economy, in the last years they are multiplied the names of an economy that really knows how to reconcile the bio-ecological cycles with the human development. To reconsider the economy in function of the environment means bring back our model of development to the circularity typical of the ecological systems: they work and they develop themselves only if they’re able to be regenerate, to transform the subject, to absorb the discarded products and to put them again in circle. The circular economy touches all the most important circles: from the green industry to the waters, from the cycle of the garbage to the protection of the air, from the exploitation of the landscape patrimony to the management of the parks, from the electric mobility to the politics for feeding. Can Varese become a “circular city”? Perhaps partly we are a circular city. With so many guests we will try to understand what practical implications the circular economy can have and we will discover that it is more concrete and near to our daylife.
- Dino De Simone, Assessor for environment, wellness and sport of the Comune di Varese
- Michele Mancino, Journalist of Varesenews
- Honorable, Member of Parliament Maria Chiara Gadda
- Fabio Iraldo, Institute of Economy and Politics of the Energy and the Environment, Università Luigi Bocconi di Milan, Scuola Universitaria Superiore Sant’Anna di Pisa: The circular economy and the environment
- George Caporaso (eco-design)
- Laura Marchini, Carlsberg Italia: The Carlsberg experience
- Andrea Bergonzi, Associazione Non solo pane: The social agriculture
- Alessandra Rambaldi, Novamont / Ecozema: The new chemistry
- Giuseppe Mauri, RSE Ricerche Sistema Elettronico: Electric mobility
- Michela Giavini, ARS Ambiente: The new concept of refusal: from the crib to the crib
- Silvio Aimetti, Mayor of Comerio: The role of a local corporate: from microcosmos to the after Whirlpool
- Iuri Franzosi, Confindustria, ANCE: Zero impact housing
- Fabio Minazzi, Università dell’Insubria: The agricultural land economy
At 04:00 pm - Villa Panza - FAI - Biumo Superiore, piazza Litta n. 1
Origins and evolution of FAI
Monuments, gardens, coastline, landscapes and works of art. To listen the places and to return them to the collectivity
Talking with Marco Magnifico, Executive Vice-President of the FAI – Fondo Ambiente Italiano
- Saturday 7 October
At 10:00 am - Palace Grand Hotel - Via Luciano Manara n. 11 – Varese
The Architect Giuseppe Sommaruga in Varese
In the year when the centennial of the disappearance and the 150 years from architect Giuseppe Sommaruga’s birth, Confcommercio Imprese per l’Italia-Uniascom of the Provincia di Varese and Soprintendenza Archeologica Belle Arti e Paesaggio for the Province di Como, Lecco, Monza-Brianza, Pavia, Sondrio, Varese, contribute to celebrate the works of the more main architect of Liberty in Varese.
They will be present:
- Davide Galimberti, Mayor of Varese
- George Angelucci, President Confcommercio Provincia di Varese
- Cristina Cappellini, Assesor for the cultures, identity and autonomies, Regione Lombardia
- Ornella Selvafolta, Ordinary Teacher of Politecnico di Milano: Giuseppe Sommaruga and the Milan architecture among ’800 and ‘900
- Luca Rinaldi, Superintendent Soprintendenza Archeologica Belle Arti e Paesaggio for the Province di Como, Lecco, Monza-Brianza, Pavia, Sondrio, Varese: Giuseppe Sommaruga in Varese
- Angela Baila, Teacher Politecnico di Milano: Villas at Campo dei Fiori (1910-1915)
- Marco Tamborini, Società Storica Varesina: New cognitive elements of the activity of Sommaruga in Varese
After the lunch The tastes of the Belle Époque, taken back of the jobs with the projection of tapes of Varese of beginnings ‘900 (Video Library of the Provincia di Varese) and conference The works of Giuseppe Sommaruga in Varese: perspectives of recovery and revitalisation for a cultural tourism.
At 11:00 am - Villa Panza - FAI - Biumo Superiore, piazza Litta n. 1
Conversing with Paolo Pejrone.
“I think that there is an important relationship between making gardens and the protection of the landscape. The creation of landscape miniaturized the garden can help even to understand the problems of the macro-landscape” (2011).
- Sunday 8 October
At 03:00 pm - Palazzo Estense - Via Luigi Sacco, 5 - Varese
Closing of the Festival
- Davide Galimberti, mayor of Varese
- Roberto Cecchi, alderman to the culture
- Cristina Cappellini, alderman to the Cultures, Identity and Autonomies of Region Lombardy
It will conclude:
Ilaria Borletti Buitoni
State Secretary for the Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo